Loading...
MISC: LOCAL EMERGENCY PLANNIG COMMITTE Jefferson County Local Emergency Planning Committee April 26 , 2005 Emergency Operations Center Law Enforcement Center 3 : 30 p.m. Call to Order Roll and Introductions Agenda Approval Minutes Approval Old Business Training Standards for Dispatch - Sally Buckles HazMat/WMD Awareness and Operations - Sally CERT - Sally Buckles P25 Radio Report - Craig Doolittle FMLP radio report - Lee Good PDM report - Peter Bogy Health Department Update - Marilyn Greely Fire Plan update - Sally Operations Last Chance Gulch - Sally Emergency Operations Center Plan - Sally New Business Speaker for May Jefferson County LEPC Minutes June 24 , 2003 The meeting was called to order by Chairman Sally Buckles at 2: 30pm. This was a new meeting time . In attendance were Sally Buckles, Megan Bullock, Bob Fry, Karen Miller and Ken Threet. The minutes of the May meeting were reviewed and the only change was in the wording of the paragraph regarding the "Orange Alert" status and personnel identification cards. There were no agenda additions . Grant reports were given by Sally Buckles and Bob Fry. The 2002 equipment grant is nearly complete and will be submitted to the State DES office by Friday. It is due July 1. The 2003 and War Supplemental grants were discussed and the application forms for these grants will be sent out after the awarding of the 2002 grant requests. There was some discussion on the Incident Command Annex of the Emergency Operations Plan and Bob offered to send a copy of what is used in Park County. The Emergency Operations Plan is nearing finish (as much as a living document can be) and will be sent out electronically to the LEPC and to the responding agencies and those specifically addressed in the Plan for their final review prior to being printed. The meeting time of 2 : 30 will be tried again as there were some conflicts for this first time and some of those in attendance said that this was a better time for them. Meeting was adjourned. Submitted by Sally Buckles J LOCAL EMERGENCY PLANNING COMMITTEE(LEPC) 05/27/03 Meeting called to order by Sally Buckles Minutes for last meeting were e-mailed to everyone as well as extra copies were available. Roll and introductions Approval of Agenda OLD BUSINESS: Grants - PDM -$5,000 -3,750, $1,250 "soft match". Supplemental Terrorism - IC Planning$2,839.53, 2002 Preparedness Exercise-Terrorism/WMP$500.00. 2002 Equipment Competitive.. Looking at purchasing Chemical Splash Protective Suits, respirators,and 3 or 4 chemical detectors. DES radio,AED's,one each patrol car as first option and 2 for each end of county as second; One Decon unit and one repeater. HMEP-50/50 salary. During this year only,furniture and communications equipment can be purchased also.. Some money has been spent to date. Sally is working on putting together some "Incident Plan" packets as part of the Supplemental Terrorism Grant. Still in the works is the tabletop exercise for Terrorism/Weapons of Mass Destruction. Due date coming up for the following: July 1 for the 2002 equipment grant- competitive. The Grant information has not been received for the 2003 equipment grant,which will be based on population with Jefferson County receiving$17,737.00. We will look at purchasing the equipment that is not received from the 2002 grant.Project 25 radio upgrades may be one of those purchases. The War supplemental grant is also population base with Jefferson County expected to receive$118,534. $3,556.00 or 3% can be used for Administration,and then to purchase anything not yet obtained, Bendix King GPH radios can be upgraded-$1,000.00 per radio,new$1,700.00. Hazardous analyses-sent out but haven't heard back from everyone to date. Training 06/19/03,4 hours HAZMAT training in Whitehall. Sally reported on the recent engine academy,that it counts for our Jefferson County drill for the year. Francine reported on a drill that was done at the high school in Whitehall. Internet high-speed wireless service is up and running in Whitehall,working on Boulder,didn't receive the grant they applied for but still have the other one to work with as reported by Lee. PIO training attended by Sally and reported on what she learned. Lot of things need to be done in regards to planning. Francine reported on what the Public Health Department is looking at doing with their grant. HazMat training- need to have everyone involved to be at least at"awareness level" and fire departments at "operations level" Project 25-In-Operatable Communication. Sally downloaded some information in regards <http.//www./discoveringmontana.com/itsd/techmt/psso.asp> Sally reported on recent HAZMAT situation on Homestake Pass.It resulted in a "minor" situation. It was mostly water on the lids. Lee-would like to involve Basin,needs a sight that could be utilized.Also needs to get back on the FM radio station. Rudy will do some research. Sally attended a "Partnership Against Terrorism" conference in Whitefish recently, shared a brief bit of information on various speakers,who else was involved. Question by Rudy in regards to grant money set aside for salaries allowing for increasing DES hours to more than 1/4 time to maybe '1/2 time. Sally is working on budget due 05/28/03. HMEP grant is in its 7th year "Orange Alert" status may mean additional security measures.Craig is looking into having identification cards made for county employees.. MACO looking into a grant to possibly provide identification cards for all of the Counties. Next meeting-Tuesday,06/24/03,2:30 p.m. Meeting adjourned. ./, - / / LOCAL EMERGENCY PLANNING COMMIt FEE(LEPC) 04/22/03 Meeting called to order by Megan Bullock Minutes for last meeting were emailed to everyone as well as extra copies were made available.No changes,it was moved by Rudy and 2nd by Rus to accept the minutes. Those in attendance were: Marj Kohn,Megan Bullock,Bob Fry,Katy James,Rudy Jones,Karen Miller,Rus Van Dyke and Lee Good. Approval of Agenda OLD BUSINESS: Grant update— 1.54 million awarded to Montana fro Homeland Security. Megan read information provided by Sally. Bob Fry also provided some input as to a future meeting planned in Helena,to plan how to utilize the funds,meeting within two weeks. "All Halards Emergency and Terrorism Preparedness." Wireless Internet—Lee reported that they are still working on the grant for Boulder. Portions of Whitehall is up and running. Money is the key factor as well as staff. Lee would like to work with Sally in regards to public notification before actually putting them on the"air". Everyone asked if they have worked on or finished their"Hazard Profile"forms. Discussion as to what information would be helpful. Provides a"base"to work off, shows there is/was community input and backup documentation. Grant status report: (copies will be available to attach to the minutes) DES report—Fire Council meeting in Willow Creek, Sally requested information from all departments. Also,upcoming training is being offered. Tier II report status NEW BUSINESS: Change of meeting day, everyone to provide input as to when would be a better time, It was suggested that "key"people be contacted for input. Discussion was held in regards to anthrax, West Niles Virus, ticks and SARS. Next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, 05/27/03 unless otherwise advised. Meeting adjourned. kj 9 4 LOCAL EMERGENCY PLANNING COMMITTEE(LEPC) 03/25/03 Meeting called to order by Sally Buckles,Chairperson Those attending were: Sally Buckles, Marj Kohn,Megan Bullock,Bob Fry,Katy James,Karen Miller, Rus VanDyke,Lee Richardson and Lee Good. Minutes for 02/25/03 had been emailed to everyone as well as extra copies were made available. No changes, approved as presented. OLD BUSINESS: By-laws,changes,add-ins have been made. "SARA" Tier II reports have been filed by several companies. They are on record with the LEPC,fire departments and State. Homework- question asked of everyone in regards to them working on the information Sally asked for at the February meeting? There is a lot of information to respond to so finish by next meeting. Sally has requested input from the road crews for the PDM grant, no response to date. There was some discussion on flooding in the Town of Boulder/County. FCC licensing is in, now we need money to go ahead. Sally provided a copy of what communication items are available within the equipment grant.Digital capability may be a factor. High speed internet is also being looked at also in regards to Homeland Securities. Pre-disaster Mitigation plan, may include in ours. Radio equipment needs to be in place within 18 months. Need an additional $50-60,000 just for equipment. We didn't apply for from Metal Mine Funds, but may approach the County for the next go around if there is any left and will approach Golden Sunlight as well as Montana Tunnels for money. DES - memo to schools in regards to Homeland Securities,Sally provided the information. Riverside working on an "emergency" plan,"shelter in place." 72 hour time frame. No update on whether or not the LEPC movie has been broadcast,Sally will look into it. 2002 Equipment Grant-added AEDs to see how many will be approved and possibly put in law enforcement vehicles. Question has been asked about licensing procedure from the State EMS Bureau with LEPC providing the AEDs through the grant. Grant supplement FEMA FY2002,Terrorism grant needs to be done by Friday,03/28/03.Sally reported on what is involved. Limited amount of funds ($5400.00). Discussion as to information to be plugged into Hazard ID/Risk Assessment. Page 2 of LEPC Meeting 03/25/03 NEW BUSINESS: Flooding- discussion in regards to the most recent that occurred within the County. Need to check with Planning Board as to the size of the culverts. DES Deputy,Jim Pearson is no longer involved. We need to request the Commissioners to appoint someone. EOC personnel- still looking for volunteers. Salty combined budget to obtain a new computer,old one will stay in the center for future use. PIO training-upcoming the week of May 19",Sally will be attending.It is being provided by the Forest Service in Butte. Building floor plans for hazards is needed from various businesses for responding etc. Next meeting Tuesday,04/22/03. May look at changing day once input from others is received in regards to best day for meetings. Meeting agenda by 04/11/03 so they can be posted publicly. Meeting adjourned. kj 9 7 ,Li.it.../9 LOCAL EMERGENCY PLANNING COMMITTEE(LEPC) 02/25/03 Meeting called to order by Sally Buckles, Chairperson Sign-in sheet passed around. Members in attendance introduced themselves. Those in attendance were: Steve Marquis, Lee Good, Karen Miller,Rus Van Dyke, Katy James and Sally Buckles. No changes to previous meeting minutes. By-laws draft blanks to be filled in by all in attendance. PDM—"Hazard Identification/Risk Assessment"forms were passed out for additional input. "Escape Masks"—some departments have been issued theirs. Sally is working on getting them to other departments. Meetings are being set up to get them issued and signed for by each individual. "Montana Citizen's Guide to Homeland Security Preparedness"booklet passed around. Some information is available on the internet by going to"discoveringmontana.com" Sally reported on the DES meeting held 03/06/03 in Helena. Bozeman and Helena now have "HazMat"response teams. State Emergency Response Commission. $30,000 set-up in a grant to conduct some filed exercises. Someone from our LEPC needs to attend one of the stakeholder meetings to be held in Poison or Lewistown, Thursday, 03/13/03 or Tuesday,03/18/03. There is $500 in grant money available for Jefferson County.. Preparing the public for threat, information was sent out to various people.Various counties are working on different plans for Citizen Corps and we are waiting for the results of their experiences. "Are Your Ready?" A guide to Citizen Preparedness"book(FEMA),could be provided to our Citizens Corp. A suggestion was made that a letter be sent to the school board in regards to the schools having and implementing a disaster preparedness plan. TransCar training coming up in Helena, Sally asked Jim Pearson to possibly attend on 06/06/03. There is a bill in Legislature to increase the membership of the State Emergency Response Commission. The next meeting is scheduled for 03/06/03, 9A- 12N. WMD-EMS OPS training is being offered in Harden May 18th through the 22"d and one the following week in Wolf Point at Roosevelt Memorial Hospital. Page 2 of LEPC Meeting 02/25/03 "Opportunity for Citizen Support for America's Fire and Emergency Medical Services through the Citizen Corps Initiative"information was received from FEMA as provided in a memo from Pat McKelvey. Sally provided various documents of information she has acquired via the internet and various meetings/trainings. Grant application deadlines and other items. The power pole on the water tower hill is in a direct line to the Boulder Airport,which may require a plans change for the high-speed intemet program and the low frequency radio station. "Homework" was given for the next meeting. Hazard vulnerability forms are to be completed for each individual's living area and the information will be combined for the whole county. Sally has a video "Shelter in Place"that she is going to try and have aired on Boulder's local public station("What is an LEPC" was already provided to the High School.) Next meeting Tuesday, 03/25/03 5-1-1 meeting scheduled in Helena Friday,02/28/03. Meeting adjourned. Kj Approved by: ;/ a, 1. _12_, Date Approved: 3 —) S —O JEFFERSON COUNTY LEPC MINUTES January 28, 2003 Chair Sally Buckles called the meeting to order. Roll was taken and those in attendance were Karen Miller, Rus VanDyke, Marj Kohn, Steve Marquis, Lee Good and Lee Richardson. Minutes were reviewed and there were no changes . Karen Miller reported on the draft by-laws and distributed a copy. Sally reported on the Emergency Operations Center workshop that she attended in Helena. It is important that we try to identify people who can be trained to staff the EOC in the event of another disaster. Several need to be trained for the same duties in case we have to run for a number of days or if someone is unavailable at the time of need. John Janik and Sally reported on the PDM meetings that were held in Whitehall and Boulder. Sally reported that the Bio/Chemical Escape Masks are ready for distribution. Marj Kohn made the report for the Health Department. She reported that the Health Alert Network has been put in place. It is used for Critical notifications, contacts and provides current and updated communications from DPHHS and CDC. The Health Department has received a grant for $27, 000 to put together a Health Response Plan. The grant is divided into deliverables and when they are met payment is sent for what is done. So far they have received $6800. They have the responsibility to do assessment, planning, training and exercise of the plan that is being written. Lee Good reported on the three items that had been assigned. He reported first on the 5-1-1 Highway information phone number. This is a nation wide program undertaken by the Department of Transportation and provides road reports to callers. Call 5-1-1 and then indicate which road you are interested in and you receive a fairly up to date report. The Motor Carriers Association is backing this. Applications for construction of low frequency FM radio stations have been made to the FCC and three of then have been received. The licensee will be the Jeff Co DES. The next step will be to find funding to actually do the construction. We have 18 months from the issuance of the construction permit to get the job done. The goal of these stations is to provide public service announcements regarding emergency messages having to do with weather, road conditions, some tourism information and possibly news headlines. The possibilities are endless and suggestions will be appreciated. There are plans for getting high-speed Internet service in Boulder and in Whitehall. The locations for the antennas in each community are being determined at this time. Use will require a line of site from your residence or business to the antenna. Costs have not been determined. The new business in the Amen building will have a computer room for people without computers to use and this business will have high-speed access. The next LEPC meeting will be at 10:00am on February 25, 2003. The meeting adjourned. Prepared by Sally Buckles A LOCAL EMERGENCY PLANNING COMMITTEE(LEPC) 11/26/02 Meeting called to order by Sally Buckles, Chairperson Sign-in sheet passed around. Members in attendance introduced themselves. No changes to previous meeting minutes. Presentation by Gary Hindoien and Chick Munson in regards to the "Citizen Corp" Chick is a Vista volunteer and Gary is a member of the State DES. Chick gave a brief history and the future of the Corp. Working with local LEPC's. Gary is hoping to recruit more personnel to assist with this program. "Faith based" organizations throughout the State to possibly be included in the program. A"Train-the trainer"course coming in January. Gary provided information as to some future training, funds may be available and resources. Need"community participation"to make it happen. Gail Lattin is being asked to"chair (coordinate)for the Citizen's Corp and is willing to do so. Sally reported on attending another areas LEPC and obtained some additional ideas. An effort is ongoing to get more residents involved. Involving"volunteer"departments is important. Taking one step at a time. Sheri Smith from DES notified that$640.00 for planning has been approved and there is more planning money available. No money was awarded to the locals for training. Those funds were awarded to the fire training school.John Culbertson is the contact. Incident Command training is another area needed. Bob Fry suggested to do a"module 100 self- study" of the ICS. The one-time use escape masks have been received(75 each)per the `2001 grant. Sally provided one for preview,to be located in ambulances, QRU's,public health, law enforcement vehicles, etc. "72 hour kits"are another big items that residents should already have. "Sample" of another groups"emergency plan (WMD), Terrorism Annex"training was shared. Letter(s)were sent out to various businesses and officials, inviting them to join the LEPC. By-laws—Karen has"drafted" some for us,but was not able to attend, will need to decide on officers,terms of office. Earthquake exercise—Bob reported on how his area's portion of the tabletop exercise. Page 2 of LEPC Monthly Meeting went in Bozeman, There is D.O.J. grant money available for more exercises. NEW BUSINESS: Weapons and Mass Destruction(WMD)—current EMT class, Lori Leighton-Boster,will be conducting a class on 12/10/02, 7:00 p.m. at the Boulder High School. A Meth-Lab class with a law enforcement instructor will also be provided to the EMT class, everyone is invited to attend. Incident at Lewis and Clark Caverns—three barrels of an unknown substance was left along side the railroad tracks. They have since been removed.No final report as to what the contents were/are, a lot of speculation. Owner of the barrels is unknown at this time. Next meeting scheduled for January 28, 2003. Pre-Disaster Mitigation plan town meets need to be held. Three different meetings to be held in Boulder, Whitehall and Clancy. John Janik was asked to get with Terry Ross and set up the Whitehall meeting. Members from the North end and the Boulder/Basin areas will be asked to assist with setting up those meetings. It may work best to coordinate with other meetings. Next Fire Council meeting is Tuesday,01/21/03,in Montana City. Meeting adjourned. kj zyht f FL O, LOCAL EMERGENCY PLANNING COMMITTEE(LEPC) 10/22/02 Meeting called to order by Sally Buckles, Chairperson Sign-in sheet passed around. No changes to 08/24/02 meeting minutes. It was announced that Ken Threet,Clancy Quick Response Unit member in attendance replacing Theresa Gustine. Grants - Sally reported on the status. Have enough to purchase 75 Chemical Emergency Escape Masks,to be made available to all First Responders.Law Enforcement personnel,road crews,ambulances will also be equipped. Fire Departments are excluded as they have SCBA's (self-contained breathing apparatus).Masks can only be used for"bio-terrorism, if used for anything else we may have to replace at our own cost. No word on the other grant we put in for, other than not too many had applied. LEPC Conference,Sally and Karen attended and felt it was very beneficial. Handbook provided to assist us with to establish our by-laws, etc.Information on "transportation system security." Additional meeting in terrorism to be offered Wednesday, 10/23/02,two hours.Anyone interested may attend. Emergency Operation Plan- Sally provided a copy for input.Joan Dedyker,new County Health Officer. Run cards are a possibility. NEW BUSINESS: There are other agencies within the County that we may have overlooked and need to send out letters inviting them to our meetings. "Citizen Corps" is a new group that falls back to LEPC,so it may be a "sub- committee." Sally provided information in regards to this organization/involvement. More work for the LEPC and there is some funding.There will also be"Train-the- Trainer" classes offered. "Citizen Corps A Guide for Local Officials",possibly Mrs. Lattin could head up the sub-committee! A volunteer is needed to work up a "draft" of our by-laws. Karen is willing to look at the by-laws. Sally to review "County Emergency Operations Plan." 11/14/02,the Department of Health has called all health personnel to a meeting in Billings. Megan possibly will be attending and will try to bring back any/all information. Page 2 of LEPC Monthly Meeting 10/22/02 Sally reported on the possibility of who may be trained to do vaccinations to assist if the ten-day vaccination period comes as the result of a smallpox situation.Helena has been added to the "133" group. Upcoming Projects: Public meetings starting in January,2003. Identify hazards, etc.,within each community for the Pre-Disaster Mitigation Plan. Vista volunteers are being utilized in some areas . Local ranchers should be invited to a meeting regarding animal emergencies. Discussion followed as to trying to get more agencies to attend meetings on a more frequent basis. Participation is beneficial for"soft matches" Possibility of combining some meetings to help reach everyone that needs to be involved. It was mentioned that Dick Johnson is the contact person for Ashgrove. Next meeting 10:00 a.m.,Tuesday, 11/26/02. Meeting adjourned. kj 4 7 /I- r LOCAL EMERGENCY PLANNING COMMITTEE(LEPC) 08/27/02 The meeting was called to order by Sally Buckles,Chairperson Sign-in sheet passed around. No changes to 07/23/02 meeting minutes. Grant reports: A letter was received stating what we have been awarded. We will be able to purchase 60 "escape masks" for first responders,and they may not cost as much as we had originally thought. HMPE grant application is due Friday, 08/29/02. The planning portion will ask for funds to cover costs for printing,materials, etc.,to publish the Emergency Operations Plan. Sally looked at having them done at half size,but the group vetoed that indicating that "full" size was better due to size of print. The other part of request will be for training. Bob Fry suggested that we may want to go through Fred Naeher at DES for the cost of booklets. The training will involve HazMat and Incident Command. We will request funds to cover the cost of the training. It is intended that all Emergency Response agencies in Jefferson County be included and that the Incident Command for Executives include executives from the attached counties. No deadline has been set for the 2002 grant. Sally reported on the 2-day "planning"workshop she attended in Great Falls last week. Step one—start with town meetings, keep records. Sally is going to try and start setting up some meetings once various information has been compiled(previous fires,floods, earthquakes). What potential damages we could be looking at, can be done to prevent loss of life and excessive damage to property. Sally has a list of items we need to look at addressing. "Soft match", if anyone knows of anyone within the county that would be willing to offer assistance please let her know. A brief explanation of what can come out of the town meetings. How many buildings in the county that are considered "earthquake safe?"Will need information from various fire departments County comprehensive Plan is recommended to be a part of this plan. Tom Lythgoe suggested a memo be sent to Harold Stepper in regards to what is going to be needed. The Economic Development group needs to be included and the Historical Society is a good source of information. A list of possible resources was passed around for additional input. Page 2 of LEPC 08/27/02 Meeting There is an LEPC conference scheduled for 09/24/02 and 09/25/02 in Helena at Fort Harrison. Anyone wanting to go should let Sally know so that the registration forms can be submitted for payment. NEW BUSINESS Report by Tom L.,County Commissioner,with regard to DES. They will be advertising for either a quarter or half-time coordinator. Health department will be receiving a grant for"bio-terrorism",over$27,000.00 and some of those funds might be used to keep the position half-time. It was emphasized that ALL EMS personnel need to be involved in any training done by the Health Department as no money grants are being made available for EMS. DPHHS money should include all EMS. The hospitals that are"fed" by Boulder and Whithall ambulance services, have been encouraged to include EMS services when they train their personnel. The grant is for two-years. There are several phases to the grant, starts with$7,000.00. Paula would like for the LEPC to consider doing"flu pandemic"round table to start with and leading up to a tabletop exercise. Law enforcement is an important link to setting this up.Newspapers need to also be included. Next meeting 10:00 a.m., Tuesday, 09/24/02. Meeting adjourned. kj //zed LOCAL EMERGENCY PLANNING COMMITTEE(LEPC) 06/25/02 Meeting called to order by Sally Buckles, Chairperson Sign-in sheet passed around.New members asked to introduce themselves. Attending were Sally Buckles, Megan Bullock, Katy James, Rudy Jones,Karen Miller and Regan Benton, new from Riverside Corrections. No changes to 04/23/02 meeting minutes. OLD BUSINESS: 2001 Equipment grant due 07/01/02. 2002 equipment grant due 07/31/02. Disaster Mitigation Planning Grant was approved. The training for writing the plan is in Great Falls, August 20 and 21. EOP is pending; BSB Coroner Annex and review of recommended changes has a realistic date of 09/01/02. LEPC annual grant request for Hazardous Materials Emergency Preparedness is due 08/30/02. This grant is a two part with one being planning and the other training. There will be some kind of"match"required. There is a system for the tracking and response of hazmat type and location,"cameo computer database"that might be a possibility. Presently there is not a good emergency plan in place at the capital complex and some of the 2002 grant from the local's 80%might be used to work on that. A workshop is being offered in Bozeman, Sally sent out notices to public works department that may be interested. NEW BUSINESS: Emergency exercise—new players maybe start with a tabletop exercise. Some of our training grant could be to provide Incident Command classes. We need to get as many officials trained so a better understanding is available. Decision-makers need to have an understanding of everyone's functions during a situation. Group training for policy makers,operations people and responders. Maybe invite some of the smaller surrounding counties and communities. One group should do mutual aide agreements. The Delmoe Dam tabletop exercise may count as Jefferson County's required exercise for the year. A statewide exercise is planned for November 21,2002 involving an earthquake in the Flathead area. There is a 2-page list of players but everyone can be involved. There are some classes offered over the interne, Texas A&M will be bringing their training to Bozeman and Butte within the next 4-6 months, all part of a grant. Sally brought everyone up to date as to what she has been doing with her representation for EMS. There isn't any designated money for EMS unless fire based EMS. Training and personal protection gear for EMS should be funded. Rudy reported on research she has done on"gas detectors". There isn't a detector that can safely detect all gases. Maybe we need to look more at putting protection in first responder vehicles, "escape pak"that provides sufficient air to be able to evacuate safely. There is talk now of referring to all situations as"all hazards"instead of just"weapons of Mass Destruction." All areas need to be involved with incident command training. We need to be talking to residents of Jefferson County to any mitigation plans. Where homes are being built, flood problems, seismic codes within various public buildings within the county. "Enhance existing programs instead of creating new ones." We need to get the word out to everyone in the county that we exist. All in attendance viewed a tape for LEPC "Guarding the Safety of Your Community" Next meeting scheduled for Tuesday, 07/23/02. Meeting adjourned. kj LOCAL EMERGENCY PLANNING COMMITTEE(LEPC) 05/28/02 Meeting called to order by Sally Buckles, Chairperson Sign-in sheet passed around. New members asked to introduce themselves. No changes to 04/23/02 meeting minutes. Larry Akers talked to the group in regards to"Hazard Mitigation Plan". Larry introduced Bud Revious. This plan has to be in by November,2003 (see hand-out provided)Pre- Disaster Mitigation Program(P.D.M.P.), Larry went on to provide insight to new program, it is a FEMA program, long and short term. Develop projects. Our`notice of interest"was submitted in January and the grant application on this date. Two workshops are planned,will be offered two different dates,one each in two different cities,and only have to attend one. Recommended that a minimum of one representative be in attendance from each county. Possibly in August,may have 50% of the plan written,there will be some homework after. 07/30/02—FEMA could possibly grant the money. 10/01/02—Federal program actually starts. 07/30/03 —Completion date. There is one calendar year to write the program. They have to be approved by November 03,2002. Won't be eligible for grant money after 1-1/2 years if we don't submit. Unless cities participate with LEPC they won't be eligible.Need to know their hazards within each community. Towns work with the county if not on plan will not be eligible. Larry complimented Sally and Jay for all their work so far on the plan. State, local and tribal entities are the three eligible for application. (Private, non-profit). Rudy asked how the two state institutions within the county would fit in for funding source. The governor has a$2M disaster account appropriated by legislation. State institutions do not use county funds. Next meeting scheduled for Tuesday,06/25/02. Response for DOJ Equipment grant was minimal. Some discussion of what is available followed. Meeting adjourned. /74, 4aeA- LOCAL EMERGENCY PLANNING COMMITTEE(LEPC) 04/23/02 Meeting was called to order by Sally Buckles, Chairperson Sign-in sheet passed around. New members asked to introduce themselves. Those in attendance were, Sally Buckles,Megan Bullock,Jay Cole, Bob Fry,Katy James, Rudy Jones,Dan Kissner,George Linthicum, Karen Miller,Pat McKelvey and Janet Pace. No changes to 03/26/02 meeting minutes. Sally provided all with a copy of the "draft"DES Plan. Would like to have a plan in place by July 2002. Next meeting agenda item (05/28/02): list of items for grant application. Final revisions of Emergency Operation Plan.Need EOP signed off on and in place by July 1. May & June time line to put together our grant application. Rudy and Sally had discussed Basin Fire Department's interest in obtaining a decontamination station and all departments receive training. Meters for all first responders to have. Maintenance is one concern,as they do need to be calibrated frequently and can be costly. Planning as to location of the meters. Suggestion was that we try for what our needs are in our grant application. Make sure all department members have the minimum of haz mat training. If the grant application is received by 05/01/02 we would have 60 days. There was a brief discussion about annexing mortuaries, etc. to the EOP. A "Round Table"discussion is scheduled for Tuesday, 05/28/02, 6-9:00 p.m.,at the Montana Developmental Center, Building 7 Treatment Center. Emergency training exercises have been held in various Counties preparing for meth lab responses,etc. This is something Jefferson County could consider doing. Pat McKelvey emphasized that this training is something that should be done as there have been several meth labs found in the Helena area and there have been dumps of the garbage from meth labs in North Jefferson County. He also recommended that Haz Mat training should go to Level II. An"Engine Academy"is being put at the Lewis and Clark Caverns involving various fire departments, DNRC, Forest Service the weekend of May 18th and 191h. CDC Push Kit training in Helena—planeload of supplies designed for metropolitan areas. Pat provided a brief explanation/description of how it is designed to work. Police department shared a copy of"Emergency Response to Terrorism Job List". A request was made to AYA to provide a copy of their"emergency plan". A video on LEPC operations will be shown at next meeting. The last page of the plan needs to be updated"shelters"for areas. Other items: Emergency Alert System and the"Red Zone" need to have more discussion. Per Pat Emergency Defense Services going on within the County. Grant money is just about used up,but more could be available next go around. At the next Fire Council meeting,maybe a helicopter could be brought out for training, we need to talk to Jim Pearson, Fire Council President. We need to encourage a person with disabilities to be on the Council. Fire Council issue needs to look into replacing radios lost during the "2000 fires. Meeting adjourned. kj jai AF-4-41-1 LOCAL EMERGENCY PLANNING COMMITTEE(LEPC) 03/26/02 Meeting called to order by Sally Buckles, Chairperson Everyone in attendance was asked to introduce themselves and who/what they are representing. Correction in minutes showing correct title of committee to"Local Emergency Planning Committee". Sign in roster passed around so that all in attendance could verify their addresses(email and mailing). Those in attendance were: Sally Buckles, Chair; Megan Bullock, Jeff Co Sanitarian; Jay Cole,Jeff Co DES Coordinator, Katy James,Basin Fire Dept; Rudy Jones,Jefferson County Fire Council; Dan Kissner, Riverside Corrections;George Linthicum, Boulder Schools; Karen Miller,Marks-Miller Post; Larry Ferguson, Yellowstone Pipe Line; Sheri Medow-Smith, Mt. DES; Randy Cline, Whitehall Schools. The assignment of reviewing the 2002 EOP needs to completed by the next meeting. Rudy brought up information received from Verizon and AT&T Tier II's. Grants: Surveys had been sent to all fire departments and emergency responders and not all had returned them.., Sherri, State DES reported on Domestic Vulnerability Preparedness Grant and how the grant was established and updates. Fire, public works and EMS. Assessments were done. Planning was a category along with equipment, training and exercises. Approved by Department of Justice. $330,000.00 was first year's money and it was distributed to the 5 Haz Mat teams in the state. $883,000.00 is the amount for 2000-2001 = 100%to local jurisdiction.County LEPC's is where the money is to be channeled. Feds will review and/or approve.(mid to advanced equipment). A lot is chemical related. The State of Montana 3-year statewide Domestic Preparedness Strategy encourages the response of all agencies involved. Help the various teams to adequately respond to various situations. LEPC's are within the counties that can identify what can be handled and assist. Chemical, biological,radiological (terrorism aspect). Identify facilities capable of providing services. What roles departments will play given each situation. Priorities hardest part of"Roles and Responsibilities." LEPC's role is to coordinate availability of equipment, etc. Training has to match the equipment.Helena, Bozeman and Great Falls have HazMat teams. State how we will support advanced teams, identify what roles each department wants to take on,ability to maintain equipment. Training and maintenance at each departments expense. Page 2 of LEPC 03/26/02 Meeting If funds are received the county or agency can be audited up to three years, therefore, all equipment purchased under the grant has to be accounted for during that three years. The responsible party has to replace what equipment is used,if that becomes necessary. Random performance reviews can be done by statewide(SERC). Shelf life of certain kits, medical items have to be replaced. The LEPC must notify the state by end of month we are interested,we have to indicate we are interested. Grant applications should be received soon,and there will be approximately two months to send the application back. Will need to be a signature sign-off sheet along with request. All departments need to turn in requests so that the LEPC can put together the final list.Need to prioritize again after each department submits their prioritized list. Committee provides oversight as to how the equipment fits in to the situation. One department could have the equipment,maintain it and share with other departments.. We need to justify in our grant request support to the teams coming in under"mutual aide". Cooperation and Coordination. The grant applications have to come through the LEPC,NO individual ones will be accepted. Lewis and Clark, Willow Creek, Whitehall,Broadwater looking to develop a"cache" of supplies,need to look at participating in this plan. Something to think about. School emergency plans—Sally asked for any plans the local schools have done. Whitehall provided a copy of their plan. Sally shared what she observed on a recent trip to Alaska. George reported that the Boulder schools working on theirs to make them better. Committee is available to assist. Alternative evacuation"safe zones", need to review. Other areas to work on: County response Plan Emergency Response Plan Contact private businesses and ask what they can provide and what they would want to have us provide. Update EOP(Emergency Operation Plans) for Jefferson County. Next meeting Tuesday,04/23/02, 10:00 am. in EOC. Meeting adjourned. kj 2 LOCAL EMERGENCY PLANNING COMMITTEE(LEPC) 02/26/02 Meeting called to order by Sally Buckles, Chairperson Everyone in attendance asked to introduce themselves and who/what they are representing. Council originally was established to address hazardous materials and sites within the county but now has been expanded to include homeland securities. A grant is available for"Domestic Preparedness",as well as there is money available for HazMat Mitigation. We are required to have a mitigation plan, which is something that the LEPC can work on. It is planned that we will try and limit the meetings to one hour. There is a deadline for grant application. Pre-disaster through DES by 02/28/02. A dollar amount limit to be put together for a HazMat team. Detection devices would be a viable piece of equipment. Maintenance of equipment is/will is a requirement. Grant money needs to be funneled through the LEPC. Identify what needs are within the county. PPE,detection,decontamination, scheduling of resources,training of personnel,planning, technical assistance Identify the threats, already done, Council needs to be made aware of and meet on a regular basis. Cooperative agreements are in place. Training of all that are called on for various situations. Hazardous training.Need to establish priorities,what levels of training we already have. Find out what levels of training each department has and establish a list of resources. An attempt needs to be done to go through previous files of past meetings. Question: "How prepared are you at home?" Meeting dates,time and location to be established, last Tuesday of each month, 10:00 A.M. Agenda is critical as it helps each area to identify when/if they need to attend. Access to the"Emergency Operation Center"(EOC) appears to be a problem at this time. Pat McKelvey and Bob would look into and see what could be done to obtain access. 04/01/02 the application is due for grant request. Minutes from this meeting to be sent in. Lot of emphasis on Hazard Mitigation Plan, within 18 months(FEMA)$50,000.00 at the State level $250,000.00 coming)for submitting the plan. First round of money to position the County for the next round of money. Members of the committee may be asked to assist with the grant writing application. "Level of Preparedness"—24-hour accessibility. Build a"map"within"Risk Assessment Plan". Get used to working together. EOX supports the effort. Some economic development can come out of this. A suggested project—identify three mile markers on a secondary road in the north part of the County, example milepost"1"on highway 282 in same general area of two others. Computer for LEPC, Tom and Jay will talk to Carl Sally Buckles,Chairperson,Megan Bullock,nominated/asked and accepted Vice- Chairperson, Katy James, asked and accept Secretary. Addresses to be on computer so minutes and other communications can be sent/received. Minutes will be sent out with next agenda. Incident Command System(ICS), March 6th, 7"'at Fort Harrison for State agencies. 03/21/02, Bob Fry guest speaker in Helena,2:00 P.M. EOC at Sheriff s office. Other training needs analysis could be done,reviewed and done once a year. HaxMat Awareness and refresher courses on an"annual"basis. MRL stores booms in a rail car that can be accessed n a replacement basis. Location to be announced, may need to meet at least every other week to get started and need to hold the meetings closer to the files. Next meeting was scheduled for Tuesday,03/26/02, 10:00 A.M. Meeting adjourned. kj aaer LOCAL EMERGENCY PLANNING COMMITTEE(LEPC) RECEIVED 08/26/03 JAN 0 6 2004 Meeting called to order by Sally Buckles, Chairperson AnSid Sign-in sheet passed around, everyone in attendance asked to verify their email address as well as introduce themselves. Those in attendance were Sally Buckles, Megan Bullock, Katy James, Rudy Jones, Karen Miller, Steve Marquis, Lee Good, Deanna Siegmund. No changes to 07/22/03 meeting minutes. Steve M., Jefferson County Undersheriff,reported on the"Rocking at the River" concert, it went well, few arrests, etc.,no one got lost. OLD BUSINESS EOP, Peter reviewed, typo's etc. have been corrected. Reference to "County Policy" will be removed. Copy was presented to Commissioners for review. (Emergency Operation Plan). Per Rudy motioned we start the signature page this date accepting the plan. Grant updates: Terrorism Supplemental, Sally has been working on this,has sent out requests information she needs, to date with no response. 2003 Equipment Grant, forms have not been received to date. Received $44,000 out of $119,000 requested. Public Health—Francine not available to provide input. War Supplemental— Sally has sent out some questionaires for input. Rudy has attended a training exercise. Forms need to be filled out and submitted. Training report—Rudy reported on the all day session she attended in Missoula. She and Sally will be getting together to fill out the forms. Most of it falls on law enforcement. Resource Manual— Sally has been receiving lists back from most of the agencies and just about has it ready to finalize. Private resources change more frequently, suggestion to concentrate on the public resources. Radio stations—Lee provided a brief overview as to what he has been working on for the past few years. 100 watt FM stations,their range reaches a wide area, permits (construction) have been applied for, there is a time line. May, 2004 could be our deadline to build these units, complete the job, approximate need $60,000. Another project"High Speed Internet Computer System/Network". A sight has been located in Basin, need some agencies to assist towards funding($4-5000). Has 8 permits to date (3 —May; 5 —August). Question—Is there any money in the grants for this? Per Sally, yes possibly. MSU Bozeman has a department that is working on a project for"Road Alert" signage. NEW BUSINESS NONE Motion to Adjourn Next meeting 09/23/03 1430. Meeting adjourned. kj /gat 1 _